Friday, January 15, 2010

Receive Mail Finally




Today is the first time I’ve received mail since arriving on Tongariki. As I’ve mentioned before mail has to be shipped from the PC office to my island since there is no post office or airport. It was either the ships kept changing the departure date or they completely passed Tongariki (apparently we are too small to matter) or the ship company forgot to put my packages on the ship and they stayed in their office for 2 weeks. So, when I got my mail I had 4 packages and over 20 letters. Thank you to everyone who has sent me something – it means so much to me to have all your love and support (in other words they keep me from going island crazy). It was like Christmas today – I though about spreading everything out over the next week but couldn’t resist. I was so excited to open everything I carried 2 of my 3 bags up the 30 min hike to my hut (I’ll pay for it later already my neck is sore).

Some highlights of the swag I got:
- coloring books and crayons (for the kids that come over and hang out – my place is like a youth center)
- bracelet making supplies (I’m queen of the friendship bracelet and I ended up making one for every kid in Erata. I felt like a sweat shop and so after I said nomo)

some samples of my mad bracelet making skills

- tons of magazines (thanks so much! I love reading about gossip, fashion and whats going on in the rest of the world)
- soup mixes (beans – its been 4 months since I’ve seen you)
- and tons of other stuff and great letters.

I loved reading all your letters – they made me cry, laugh out loud and miss you guys even more. Keep sending the letters I’ll eventually get them and it gives me a way to stay connected.





1 comment:

  1. Oh Niki...it killed me that you didn't get our packages/letters in time for Christmas. But, I'm glad you finally got them...and so thoroughly enjoyed them!

    ReplyDelete