Friday, December 25, 2009

Spend Her First Christmas in Vanuatu

Merry Christmas everyone!
This holiday season I’ve definitely missed my family and friends back home in the states – it’s the sounds of football games, laughter and smelling lumpia cooking in the kitchen. It’s not about the presents, but about being surrounded by the ones you love – corny I know – I am not the Grinch any longer!

But today I was surrounded by plenty of people that care for me like a family. This morning we all drank tea and biscuits/bread together at the nakamal. For lunch we listened to string band music and ate goat soup with rice. For dinner we had baked pig and banana lap lap.

During the holiday season, every meal is eaten together as a community and we are split up into 3 groups and rotate helping to prepare the lunch or dinner until the first week of January.

breakfast at the nakamal the girls with their Christmas gifts

1 comment:

  1. This is a true celebration...being with family and friends and giving what little we have!

    ReplyDelete