Sunday, September 13, 2009

Is FOP (Fresh Off the Plane)

After about 15 hours of traveling we finally landed in Port Vila (the capital of Vanuatu – on the island of Efate). I stepped off the plane and as I was going through the passport checkpoint marked for residents it still didn’t feel real – am I home? When we got outside we were greeted with 20 or so staff and other volunteers. They gave us all coconuts to drink and a lava lava (surong) to wear. As I shook everyone’s hand I felt a little overwhelmed with a lot of emotions: I was excited and nervous and thinking “Did I bring too much?” “What does the rest of this island look like?” “Ok, these other volunteers look normal and cool so if they can survive so can I” “What an adventure I’m starting today”


The welcome line at the airport

Got a surong and coconut - life is good :)

No comments:

Post a Comment